Monday, December 27, 2010

Two Horses, One Butt

My friend Nick has this saying that he got from a movie that he likes to use a lot in respect to nostalgia and a human's desire to be with everyone they ever knew, it goes something like "you're trying to ride two horses with one butt."

Well, that's how I feel today. Two of our very best friends came over for a very short visit. They live far away and can only really come home once a year or so. When they left to go back and be with family for the night, we all realized that we probably wouldn't see each other for a really long time, years, maybe longer.

It sucks that we have to live our lives in a place like this, a fallen world I mean. That they live on the other side of the world and we can't live right here in good old CNY and we also can't live next door to each other. I struggle with not wanting to live near them our whole lives, yet, as I hold my son and sing him a lullaby, I realize that there are other places I need to take my life. Other things that I need to concentrate on and worry about. Yes it would be great if they came back to live in this area, and I would enjoy their company as often as possible. But that most likely will not happen. And I just need to move on.

It's hard to have an eternal perspective. It's hard to understand and live out the fact that in reality, we'll be together forever. We have no less time together now than we did twenty minute before they left, but my temporal self wants it NOW. I want to ride the horse of their friendship three years ago and ride the horse of right now at the same time, but... I only have one butt. And so I'll ask our Abba to help me move on with a joyful heart. To help me keep the here-and-now in perspective, that our son needs his diaper changed, and that he needs a man to raise him up unto the Lord. And that's my job. My job isn't to wish our best friends lived closer, to pine away for something that won't be. But to pray that their lives glorify God and that I do everything in my power, with God's help, to make sure ours do too.

Thank you for reading!
Scott.

1 comment:

RandyP said...

Wow. I really like this one. I get caught up in this feeling so often. Here's hoping I can learn to apply the concept and choose the more important thing.